Friday, June 17, 2011

Tok to Denali State Park, June 16, 2011

June 17, 2011
Such a long drive and such vast wilderness! I arrived yesterday evening to my summer home in Denali State Park after driving a total of 3,394 miles! Yow!

It rained much of the day yesterday but my car is still coated with thick dust. The route down from Tok gave views of the Chugach Mountains, giant glacier carved valleys filled with spruce, willow and alders, ponds, wide rushing rivers and eventually, the massive Matanuska glacier.

I made my way north on the Parks Highway, awed by the perfectly clear views of Denali all along the way. It really is a staggering site, cloaked in white and rising heavenward. I have been reading so much about the mountain during the past months, and seeing it once again after many years, made me reflect on the many who lost their lives up there, and whose remains still lie buried unseen, in icy crevasses. I was also awed as I thought about how all points in my life have led me to this present moment, and how beautiful the path before me is.

I made my way to the Guide House, which my boss, Howard Carbonne, has been building since September. It is still under construction, but is large, lovely and clearly a special place. The outhouse could win an award for creativity. My co-worker/housemate Stephanie, showed me around and we chatted quite a bit. She is very friendly and made me feel very welcomed.

I have a couple of days to train before leading my first hikes. My back is tired from sitting in the car for so many hours. I long for lengthy hikes in the wilderness.............................

Much love until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment