Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Fort St. John to Watson Lake (553 miles)

June 14, 2011
What an extraordinary day it has been. It was a wildlife lovers dream come true!
I am on the Alaska Highway now, so the road is more rough in places that the Provincial Highway. But all is fine—just some places with loose gravel.
Thank God for Caffeine, Music and a good air cooling system! Today I sang with and listened to Train (Drops of Jupiter), the Dixie Chicks (Cowboy Take Me Away), Madonna (Like a Prayer), Brandi Carlisle (Give Up the Ghost) and Cat Stevens (Tea for the Tillerman). Then, in between, I listen to my tape recordings, aka "study time." Thanks again, Susan for helping me research the wonders of digital tape recorders!!!

I drove through some spellbinding areas with aquamarine colored rivers, black bears chomping with gusto on grasses, and “thin horned” sheep licking minerals off the road. There were some wonderful babies and moms. I enjoyed some humorous names like Muncho Lake and Toad River. Endangered wood bison graze in groups or solo and they were abundant and easy to spot. I also saw caribou and 4 moose, two guys and two females. I had to REALLY be very alert and focused to drive safely, since I didn't know what I might find around each twist and turn.

A big highlight for me was visiting the Liard River Hotsprings. You walk along a boardwalk trail to the sulphuric springs. A bull moose was happily devouring willow and grasses as I walked by quietly, not to anger him. The whole park is filled with flowers which love the warm water and the springs themselves are deep, beautiful, and totally natural, and surrounded by decks. There were mostly folks my age or older there who were very friendly, and of course the water made all my cares from driving and the stress of avoiding ramming into wildlife melt away. I am so pleased I was able to float around, watching the heavy rain clouds above.
I finally got to the Yukon Territory 9ish and walked around the Signpost Park. I am camping at the Watson Lake Campground. The mosquitoes are in full force, unfortunately, but no problem, I am ready to drift away into slumber land.
Peace and Joy to you all.
(PS I took all the photos on this post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment