Thursday, June 23, 2011

Kesugi Ridge

I had my  first days off and took myself backpacking here in the state park along a trail atop the Kesugi Ridge. Kesugi means "the ancient one" in Athapaskan. I have to say, this was one of the most wonderful backpacking trips of my life!!!!! The views of the Alaska Range and "the high one" along with wonderful treking along long miles of tundra overflowing with mosses, lichens and tiny flowers made my heart sing. It was a challenge though!!! Lots of elevation gain, freaky steep muddy downhills, slippery snowbanks, muskeg (bogs) with hungry insects, losing the trail for a half mile and bushwhacking through alders and willow and hellebore (gasp),  sometimes very windy, and sometimes toooooo sunny (since it never gets dark).
It was a joy to be able to walk "home" to the trailler 29 miles later!!! I am beat and will rest up before taking visitors out on a long hike tomorrow!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You are soooooo tough! Wow!

    Susan and Lynn

    ReplyDelete